Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Lion, the Poet, the Movie and Poem

Great Scott and I took the girls to see the Narnia movie last week. Afterward we all went to Borders bookstore where the younger daughter used her Christmas gift certificate to buy the soundtrack from the movie. I've been listening to it yesterday and this morning, being pulled further and further into that deeper reality that is much more real than the everyday world we see with the eyes in the front of our heads. It's good to be back here. Sometimes the overabundance of marbles in my bag blocks my way. ...It's good to lose a few marbles, to live life a few marbles short of a full bag.

The movie was lovely. Not as in depth as the LOTR movies, but then, Lewis's Narnia books were much less rich in depth and background than Tolkien's Middle Earth books, too. I'm still pondering, but I think I like the fact that the movies are consistent with the two book series in this way.

A note about Aslan: I could listen to him roar all day. I found myself leaning forward in my theater seat in my desire to hear that incredible roar again and again. It took my breath away when it happened, and there rose in me a wild and utter joy at the sound of it. I wanted to cry and laugh aloud at once. Gorgeous, gorgeous sound!

Mary Oliver has a poem entitled "Serengeti" that brings to me the same kind of joyous abandon and awe. After a long search, I finally found it on the web. Click here, then scroll about 5/6 of the way down the page. It's the second poem. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Lucindyl said...

Yay! A note for you, then: Stay put in your seat when the credits start to roll. :) Nothing big, but if you leave too early, you'll miss a bit.

Enjoy. :)