Friday, November 03, 2006

Friday Quote: On Friendship

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor to measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away."

--George Eliot

Because of the isolation of our location, in part, but even more because of my own distrustful nature, I do not have very many such friends, and the ones I do have are far away, our contacts few and far between. This makes them all the more valued.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Don't have many of that type either, but those I have, I really do have. Here's to them! - Nic

Anonymous said...

this is nice...sometimes it is hard to know when to blow away the chaff, and when to keep them and analyze them and hold our friends accountable...this helped me see that i need to let go of some things that i hold on to too tightly.i will send this to my friend.thank you. your isolated place looks beautiful (over the pic of the lazy cat)

Lucindyl said...

Nic--Indeed!

Atticus--Discernment, discernment, discernment. It seems to be the key to any close relationship, doesn't it? Or at least one of the keys. I treasure friends who have it, and I live in fear of not seeking and applying it as faithfully as I should in those relationships.

Our isolated place IS lovely. I walk through those woods in the distance a few times a week and come home full of burrs and dust (or damp, depending on the weather) and bearing a little more peace than when I started out.