Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Another Year

I am still writing "2009" on checks and attendance slips.

Last Friday on my birthday an old friend and fellow Douglas Adams reader reminded me that I am now the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Age-specific ads at the side of my Facebook page tell me that forty-two year-old women wear Ug boots, buy iPads, and publish their own poetry. My students ask if I rode the pterodactyl to school or took the mammoth. Outside stars billions of years old burn so fiercely that their light still reaches us, and the patient moon grows old and young again. Why should I fear?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fear is the mind killer. I know its outside your kith and kin, but it is appropriate. At our age, we know that things end... and we will also end at one point or another, we just do not have the certainty of when. Double the age, and that indeterminacy equation becomes much more calculable.