1. Finding a given-up-for-good earring on the school parking lot this evening as we left the girls' spring concert. It was one of my favorite pair, one I lost Wednesday afternoon.
2. Seeing three deer in the field last night, while walking. One leapt out of some trees rather near me and ran, making startled deer noises, across the field and into the woods. The other two studied me at length before running halfway across the field and then stopping to study me some more. They did this so long that I expect they will present their theses at the end of this semester.
3. Finding purple salvia at the local grocery store's parking lot greenhouse.
4. The Older Daughter's deciding to forgo the school reward field trip in order to do something alone with me that day for a treat.
"Are you telling me you'd rather do something with your family than with your friends?" I asked, astounded.
She looked at me as if I was utterly brainless, "Well, yeah!" I am still reeling in befuddled wonder.
5. Sitting at my table with my father soldering phone wires and fastening them to receptacles and talking or not talking, as the mood struck us.
6. A working internet connection.
7. And phone lines that don't buzz in our ears.
8. Walking down to the creek in the rain while we were under a flash flood warning and watching the water tearing past at four times the width of the normal stream bed.
9. Looking out the window during last Friday evening's slumber party to see the younger daughter and her two best friends in the driveway having an all-out mud fight .
10. Hosing them down afterward. In well water.
11. Overhearing the younger daughter tell her father over dinner, "I like 'Red Green', even if it is a show for middle-aged men!"
12. Participating in the napkin fight that erupted as a result of the above comment.
13. Lying on my stomach across a made bed in the middle of the day, watching a steady rain soak the earth outside the window and listening to it on the leaves and grass. Luxury.