Thursday, April 01, 2010

Thirteen Things I Need to Remember When My Students Drive Me Crazy

1. Some of my students didn't sleep last night.

2. Some of them haven't eaten anything since yesterday's school lunch.

3. Some of them are trying to find the right balance of anti-depressants and/or anti-psychotic meds.

4. Some of them are seniors and are beginning to feel a bit crazy about getting to leave school and having to leave school, and they can't decide whether they love or hate these things.

5. Being cooped up in a computer lab when it's 80 degrees and sunny outside isn't anyone's idea of fun.

6. Some of these kids know a whole lot more about livestock and motors than I could ever dream of knowing.

7. Some of them are taking care of mentally ill parents at home and may not get to class on time because they had to wait for the ambulance...again.

8. Some of them are so smart that they're bored out of their minds and coming up with trouble to keep themselves entertained.

9. Some of them look scroungy because they had to get younger brothers and sisters ready for school this morning, and they put little sister's hair in ponytails instead of brushing their own before catching the bus.

10. Some of them laugh and joke because they're afraid of anyone figuring out that they care very much that they're failing, and they're covering up.

11. Not all of them HAVE to like me or like my class.

12. I can love them, anyway.

13. Crazy isn't such a bad state of mind if you're in far enough.

4 comments:

Michael A. Wells said...

Wow... these are thought provoking.

I think I'm seeing myself in the last one.

GrumpyTeacher1 said...

Good list. Thanks for the insights.

Lucindyl said...

Michael--I pretty much live in the last one. And in case you're wondering, yes, all of these are true.

GT--I know you've got similar situations at your school, bless you.

Fieldfleur said...

:) Mine are perfect Christian children who thank me for teaching them. In their 20's, they will suffer major identity crises and plagues of sin, but for now, I'm enjoying how sweet, innocent, and non-problem causing they are. Lord, be with them in a deep-rooted way as they find their own kernel of identity.