Thursday, April 01, 2010

NaPoWriMo 2010 Begins!

I have a horrible track record when it comes to any kind of regular writing, and teaching school the past two years has only exacerbated the situation. Nevertheless, better to try than not to try. At least, that's the line I feed my students. I don't have time for revision, however--at least not now. You'll have to settle for rough drafts splattered down on the page.

Let the scrawls begin!

Orchids

Fat buds wing into full bloom and float
in arcs above my monitor. Students drop
their shove and scuffle, stoop to touch trembling
petals, one slow finger at a time. I've watered them
for months, watched them stretch
new growth and now, although their roots
still tangle, gnarled amid dead wood
and sphagnum, they are opening
along their lengths, lifting
fragile faces toward the light.

4 comments:

Beth Impson said...

Lovely!

Lucindyl said...

Thank you. Have been working on a rewrite that is not quite as dense or sentimental.

Beth Impson said...

Looking forward to seeing it! I am so glad you are doing this; I miss your poetry.

Fieldfleur said...

A teacher in love . . . .:) Good language!