Wednesday, June 10, 2009

House

No, not the television show.

Last week as I sat in my schoolroom trying to force myself to use my summer wisely by writing the curriculum that the state is going to review next fall, a tapping came at my window. Fairly sure that the tapper was most likely to be a family member or a student, I sent The Younger Daughter to go check the outside doors and let the tapper in, should my assumptions be correct. They were. It was my father. He had come to share with me the news that a house with some acreage had come up for sale near town, and he thought I might like to take a look at it.

We'd not been looking for a house, really. Oh, we knew that we really ought to before long, but we were thinking more in the time frame of 1-2 years, not 5 days.

"What?!" you ask, as well you may. Yes. Five days. It was going up for auction in five days.

The short version of this story is that Great Scott, The Daughters and I attended the first auction I'd been to since I was very small. My father did the bidding for us since we felt too inexperienced to do this well ourselves, and shortly after noon last Saturday, we had a house with a field and woods. We are still reeling in shock, even as we finalize preparations to (hopefully) close on the place next week.

I said in my last post that I needed to get Mrs. Lawson out of my system. Well, this should do it, although how in the world I'm going to find time to write curriculum now, while moving twelve years worth of stuff, I've no idea. It's funny, really, funny in the way that inspires one to run around in circles in the front lawn waving one's hands above one's head and screaming, "Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!" before falling flat on one's back and twitching slightly while watching the sky spin above one's head.

Seriously. It's all good. It will be fun.

Have I mentioned the barn? Yes. A barn. With a hayloft for The Younger Daughter to fall out of! Whee!

(Disclaimer: Please do not misread the tone of the above. I am very pleased with the place, and while moving will require a great deal of work, there couldn't be a better time to do it than right now, before school starts up again.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy! I am thrilled for you. Our Abba sure knows how to take care of you. Sounds like a perfect place for your family.

And, I can't WAIT for the posts to come on cleaning out, packing, exploring history through the piles of boxes ... so much opportunity for creative writing there.

Just like the spinning in the yard analogy above :)

Lucindyl said...

Randy--Oh, I can wait for all the cleaning and packing and history exploring. This family is a collection of pack rats, especially when it comes to paper. I've a feeling the move will require a lot of tough decision making over things like the girls' first bubble gum wrappers and old Barbie doll boxes that had interesting pictures printed on them. :::great rolling of eyes:::

Thanks for the enthusiasm. :) We're pretty thrilled ourselves.

Beth Impson said...

I'm so excited to hear about your "journey"! I know it will be at moments frustrating, but what a lovely place you will have, and what an adventure. Excellent timing, too, as far as school goes . . .

God bless your move and your new home!

Anonymous said...

Bet you can't wait for the moving to start! :)

Lucindyl said...

Anonymous--At this point, what I can't wait for is for the moving to be DONE! ;)

eutychus said...

That is exciting stuff! You are living my dream- a house outside of town with a few acres..and a barn. Sigh....

Megan S. said...

How i miss a house with a barn and the wind in the tall grasses...

Praying for blessings and beautiful moments of memory and forward-looking as you make this transition!

Terra said...

Are you busy moving? Sometimes unpacking takes a long time, as I recall.
Oh a barn, will you get a pony now? Wouldn't that be fun?
At one time my husband and sons and I lived in a house with 5 acres of apple trees, which was a great experience and I used to write for "Hobby Farms" magazine.
This is my first visit to your blog. Come on over to mine and say hi, if you like.

Fieldfleur said...

Okay, I've read the non-FB details of the new home. I'm so relieved it has acreage and a barnloft. I was worried that the poet wouldn't have the same inspiration as she found on PL. So good.:)

I'm hitting the curriculum hard myself now. I'm getting a-glow about teaching again. What's wrong with me?!

Teri
PS. I might humbly submit that I'll try to be posting somewhat on BoBales again. Thank you for still claiming my almost-retired link. Bless you.

Jeremy said...

So where is The Cindy?