I have an inordinate fondness for fairy tales and mythopoetic literature. This evening I've spent several hours at SurLaLune, pouring over annotated fairy tales and their histories, not to mention many, many absolutely gorgeous illustrations. It's an incredible site.
If anyone knows of a graduate program that focuses in on mythopoetic lit or fairy tale lit or literature of the fantastic, drop me a line. Until then, here are thirteen reasons to love fairy tales.
1. Magical powers.
2. Wise women.
3. Brave princes and princesses.
4. Unbearable suffering.
6. Long, flowing hair. (Yes, I know it's terribly girly, but...I'm a girl!)
7. Scary monsters. (See here. If you get this joke, I will write a poem for you of your very own.)
8. Small children being eaten.
9. Good overcoming evil.
10. Forests and thickets and rivers and lakes and thorns and flowers and mountains and castles and cottages.
11. Otherworldly kingdoms.
12. Talking beasts.
13. Journeys of the exterior and interior.